hollow sidewalks

seeing shows so you don't have to.

Friday, February 24, 2006

Destination: Ludlow

Destinaton Zero/Cori Yarckin/Your Secret Admirer/The iOs//Pianos//2/22/06

There are some good things about my computer dying.

My "books" are gone. So that means there is only 1 complete version of No Sleep Til Queens and Sophomore Effort (doesn't it sound more impressive with the titles in itals? Like it really is something) in existance, and I don't have those. I was in the bathroom bawling uncontrollably to the point that Oreo started hissing at me. And then I realized something. It wasn't meant to be. So what? Let it go. Get over it. Grow up already. Move on. And that should learn me to take batter care of my things, but I'll probably never learn. It was so refreshing to be able to hang around at night and not be slouched in front of the computer, writing. I had no burning desire to get caught up on anything. I wasn't worried that I wasn't able to check venue sites every nite.

I think it was a CD that did it. Well, a 6-yr-old computer and the CD didn't help. It was a demo from a band called The States who are residing @ The Delancey. Found it in the flier pile at the Bowery Poetry Club after the comic book show and I was going to review the disk and if good see the band. But they're yer typical Brooklyn-based indie/shoegazing rock band ("Don't write us off as a Brooklyn band!" they beg on their website. Well, that's exactly how they sound.) But when I went to replace the CD with something worth my while, the thing wouldn't eject all the way. In use, computer sez, even though I stopped it. Which has happened before. So I put it back in and tried to pop it out from the drive w/a paperclip. Nope. Drive wouldn't give. Hitting eject on the keyboard didn't work. I had to send another CD in to pop it out and thankfully got the 2nd CD out. Now the computer won't start up past a disk icon that has a ? and then and X on it, and it won't shut off. I have to hit the surge.

And my list of admissions paid for 2006? Gone. So it's like that slate has been wiped clean. Though owning up to everything in 2005 kinda pretty much broke me (spiritually as well as financially), had I not posted it, that would've been lost as well. How much money have I laid out for shows so far this year? $0. Ahhh.

Destination Zero, from the Netherlands, were up 1st @ 6:30 and their set was free. I kinda bristled because I have things to do. Never mind the fact that those things involved spending $ to use a computer, I didn't want to spend the whole nite there until the iOs. But what else could I do? As I watched them set up and souncheck, I started getting irritable. After all, I have things to do. And I felt uncomfortable without my camera on me. Maybe after Destination Zero I can run home and get my camera and come back and that'll kill time. Or...wait. The iOs have a residency. I can see Destination Zero and come back some other time! But knowing me I'd end up with other plans by the time "some other time" rolls around, or I'd be tired/busy from some other show.

As I waited, feeling like a total sneak for being inside ahead of time, I noticed a table with a bouquet of flowers and the card read Miss Cori Yarckin. The girl at the table was wearing cargo pants that met the wrong end of a Bedazzler and a personalized rhinestone belt buckle. She had a Coach bag and a digital camera on her and took pix of herself and some tall, lanky poseur in a tie, eyeliner, black nailpolish, and the standard-issue "I'm a hip rocker" shaggy haircut. Destination Zero are a promising industrial band that blended in bongos and playing a big blue industrial barrel, except for the fact that the mic kept cutting out and dropping in volume. "The best thing about the 9 shows in 10 days is that you can get everywhere by subway! No van with 5 smelly guys!"

So then we had to clear the room for Cori Yarckin and I was kinda hoping I could sneak around and not have to pay. At the head of the line was some weird old guy with a bad combover weave. A crowd was forming and I knew the place would clear out after her set, but I was afraid that if I said I was there for the iOs they'd make me wait outside, and the traffic flow is terrible with people trying to get upstairs and waiters going back and forth. And bringing food that I can't afford right past my face to hip people with money that I'll never have, eating dinner. Cori Yarckin was actually a band, and since her act was billed as such I kinda knew what to expect out of her. The guy in the tie is her guitar player and her douchebag bass player wore a Def Leppard shirt over a shirt and tie, his hair sprayed into a really bad fauxhawk ridge. Cori was wearing too much eye makeup, a tight blazer, and her belt buckle said IROC. The place was packed. She reminds me of those phony obnoxious chicks on American Idol who think that oversinging everything and trying too hard is a substitute for a personality and get pretty far and then get kicked off, much to the relief of everyone else who wondered how the hell she lasted so long. Or who end up winning. (Note: I do NOT watch American Idol. I'm just saying.) The Cori Yarckin Experience was really bland pablum pop rock, complete with her taking her blazer off to reveal her pelvis and hip bones, which do not have stretch marks. (Note: I do NOT have stretch marks. I'm just saying.) Though her shirt was pretty cool and if I were flatchested like she is, I'd rock it. Who the hell is this woman/band? Is she on Z100 or something? Even Unsteady Freddie was there. Plenty of digital cameras and the guy near me was on his Blueberry thru the whole thing. "I'm not even from here and all y'all came out to support!" (Some other band.)

Your Secret Admirer borders on What not to name your band, but after the inflated balloon that was Cori Yarckin, it kinda worked for their college-rock vibe. "Hi, we're Your Secret Admirer." It was their 1st gig (aw!) and after the 1st song the singer said, "We're Your Secret Admirer!" Yeah, I heard you the 1st time. I'm just not that into you. It's not you. it's me. No, I'm kidding, but you get my point. They were filling in for a band called Wrest, who were taking time off due to illness/injury. What is it with all these bands getting sick/fucked up now? "I bet you wish Wrest didn't have to cancel!" Yeah, low self-esteem is so appealing in a band. The iOs had a kinda similar sound, but with keyboard and drum machine, and I probably would've liked them more if I didn't have to stand around all nite, because I'm still getting over my cold, hacking, and blowing my nose. And I haven't been sleeping well. And I'm bummed out about the whole computer sitch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home