hollow sidewalks

seeing shows so you don't have to.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

So, P.S.

Long story short, I ended up at Trash on Saturday and caught The Pill and WWIX. The Pill because of course this has to be some sort of chick-rock band, right? Yup, and the sassy lead singer pouted her way through "Teenage Kicks" like she was born to cover the song. In between sets a guy in a WWIX T, crew cut (seriously), and with his jacket tied around his waist (seriously) sits down next to me and asks me how I'm doing, totally without preamble. My plan was to humor him until he realized that he was confusing me for someone else but then I knew exactly who he was. "Remember when we studied together?" he asked. Uh, yeah. Once. 11 years ago. I told him that Max has no idea who I am and he said, "Oh, he knows who you are now. He asked me if any of my coworkers are into punk. I laughed and said no. Needless to say I was laughing from time to time during WWIX's set, picturing a younger, blond-streaked Max in Hasbrouck Dining Hall in my mind--even with Blackout Shoppers Seth Amphetamine and Blackout Matt ripping it up in the pit and the recipients of WWIX's "Hungry For Beer." I offered Matt the ticket that I couldn't use and he didn't seem too thrilled but said that if I can't sell it to give him a call.

With the F not stopping @ 14th I took the L to 8th Ave to wait for the E, which is probably the same difference as getting the F at 14th and waiting later for the E at Jackson Heights. There was a young blonde European woman next to me talking to her male companions, trying to piece together what she did the previous night and I was engrossed in eavesdropping. I never saw it coming until it was too late. I was sitting on the end of the bench near the door. A guy was standing opposite me, leaning against the door. I don't think he even knew what was going to happen. I heard a loud sneeze and looked up just in time to see the guy opposite me projectile vomit across the train and it appeared to be going in slo-mo.....and right into my lap. It barely spatters the girl next to me and she's complaining that she has to spend a lot of money to dry clean her coat, which is nothing compared to a stranger's puke that blew and flew into my lap. I almost puked as well, as I had a bit to go 'til I got home.

I get home to a message from my mother: The shower is moved back a week, to the 20th! Without them even knowing about the whole ticket thing for the 13th! O...kay, I have a late show the night be--I mean, that morning and I think I bought the tix before I even knew that my sister is pregnant. But no shows on the 20th. Nope, not at all. (Then Monday I hear the date is going to change again. Not sure if it's pushed up, like a week before (which would rock) or pushed back, to the 1st week of December. If it is in December, I really hope it's not the 3rd.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home