hollow sidewalks

seeing shows so you don't have to.

Friday, October 07, 2005

It's A Mod, Mod, Mod, Mod, Modrocket World

Modrocket @ Arlene's Grocery//10/6/05

Arlene's Grocery is rarely my first choice of venues to see a band; I never sweat their calendar at midmonth or toward the end of the month so I can plan my next month accordingly. I do check their listings in the paper every week and whenever something sounds good, I'll go if I'm free. As was the case with Dougie Needles & the Public Offenders. Turns out Needles was Joan Jett's guitar player, so I guess there is something to my theory of seeing acts that have a cool name. And that's the problem with Arlene's Grocery. A lot of the acts are still kinda no-namey and they kinda have an "impressing your parents, their friends, your coworkers, and housemates with a gig on the LES" vibe. Or, put another way, their booking is one step up from the old Acme Underground (where I never went) which was one step up from The Bitter End and The Elbow Room. (Has anyone ever been there?) TONY once had a handy pullout venue guide which broke it all down in a Zagat's-esque survey, grading venues on sound quality, bar, and talent booked and I pretty much agreed and laughed out loud in commiseration. So I'm not just being a bitter oldster here. Oreo peed on the guide.

So even though I've been hearing that Modrocket is not to be missed and EMI was allegedly by to check 'em out, I still had that skeptical, "going to see a friend's band" mindset. Besides, I told myself, lead singer Alice Blythe (yep, Geoff's little girl) is only 16. The Donnas did it first. Not that I doubted Jason's enthusiasm. The place filled up nicely, probably thanks to it being an A/A show and after they called everyone closer, there was no way a latecomer could plinko up. At first it was a little hard for me to get around constantly noticing that Alice looks like a petite, blonde version of her mother strutting around onstage and the drummer looked really familiar. Maybe I saw her at a show?

The Donnas comparison doesn't really hold beyond the fact that they're an all-female 4-some and young when starting out. The Donnas--in the beginning--were more pop-punk and had a very California sound. Modrocket covered "Now I Wanna Be Your Dog" and they're in the same vein as the bands that were formed to be heirs to the "garage rock" sound--your Star Spangles, Weekenders, Babyshakes, Electric Shadows, Some Action. The difference is Modrocket--while a little primitive--is actually quite good. Those other bands were all style over substance--turned 21s with clothes and haircuts older than they are. And Xgau gave the Star Spangles' first album a grade in the C range and I wish they would just break up already. Some Action is kaput and I heard that The Mooney Suzuki is no more. Modrocket's music is better than bands older than they are and don't get me started on their lyrics. When I was their age I was still writing notebook poetry, rhyming strife and life. "You're only 16 with a 25-year-old smile" from "Sixteen." When I was their age there was no way I could be onstage in a band. They closed with a cover of "Personality Crisis." The only problem I had--and it's a small one--is the guitar player and bassist, while competant, stood stock-still so it was hard to get a feel for their personalities. Not sure how many gigs they have under their belts, but they can only go up from here and break hearts all over NYC.

Modrocket ended a little after 8 and it was early and since I was there and already paid my cover and, being me, was curious about On Dead Machine. The place cleared out and they set up and did a soundcheck. A guy came onstage and thanked us from the bottom of his heart for checking out ODM's first gig in NYC. Uh, this is probably going to suck. Sure enough, a Kurt Cobain-esque guy takes his place at the mic along with the beefy, bearded guitar and bass player who look like they belong in some Ozzfest metal band. They say that if it's too loud you're too old, so I guess I am. When I went downstairs to use the bathroom before leaving, I could still hear them perfectly. Outside, Modrocket's guitarist and drummer told me they were standing next to me at the Donnas' show @ Webster Hall. Aha! The drummer was a blonde then. I knew she looked familiar.

Since it was still early and I was there, I decided to support the friendly neighborhood Cakeshop. Cookies & Cream cake. It rearranged my brain cells for a sec.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home