hollow sidewalks

seeing shows so you don't have to.

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Right On, Q

Super System/Q and not U//Knitting Factory//9/20/05

Hey, big surprise. I went to a show last night. It made more sense when I bought the tix months ago, before I even started the blog and before I realized that the show would be a few days after CMJ weekend and I'd have a few posts to catch up on. And I gotta admit, the big ole Q had something to do with it. One of these days if I ever get all my pix online or published I can say that I have all bands covered from Aa to the Zambonis. And I'm sick of the Queers being the only Q band listed anywhere. So it was more of a curiosity thing for me and the early show was also a big plus.

Both Super System & Q and not U play what's called "college music" nowadays. Super System seemed to have a little more urban influence. Both had keybs/samplers. Q and not U are the heaviest/punkest of the keybs/synth/sampler bands that are a dime a dozen on the LES and calling themselves punk--like a Q not being followed by a U. They're the only ones that had a dance party/pit going on right from the start and people sweating and slamming into me. It brought to mind Chuck Eddy's quip about Group Sounds: We need this like we need a hole in the head. Group Sounds, we mean. (Hey, when he's right, he's right.) This is probably what a Q not followed by a U sounds like.

They said they started in 1998 and the NYC scene was pretty dead. They didn't play a gig here until 2000 and then everything bloomed. "And look at you now!" yelled someone in the audience. So, wait. Does that mean they're electroclash? No, even I know that much.