hollow sidewalks

seeing shows so you don't have to.

Friday, September 16, 2005

Magickally Celloriffic

UnicornFirebird Band/Rasputina//Maxwell's//9/15/05

Schlepping all the way out to Hoboken on a Thursday night made a lot of sense when I bought the ticket--months ago. Maybe all my CMJing is going to involve a schlep to Maxwell's; last year it was for Presidents of the United States of America. United State of Electronica opened. (Don't be fooled by the name or the shoutout in the Onion's fall music preview. They're neither electronica or buzzworthy. Discuss.) By the time the show actually rolled around it was a different story. I was pissed off all day Wednesday, a real fudge topped with whipped cream topped with caramel syrup day. Thursday morning I felt a little better.

Tix for this show went onsale shortly after their SP show and since I got to SP late (for me) I was standing all the way to the right of the stage. I felt like a total failure as a photographer, writer, and music fan. Then again, I was tired of showing up before 8 for doors to a 9pm show. This time around, I was determined to do better. And last week or so I saw that Rasputina is playing Bowery Ballroom on Halloween. I almost wished I didn't have the Maxwell's tix because the BB show would've been better. But I can't spend $18 for the show.

Even though I was determined to do better this time around, I still went home first in order to sneak in a nap on the subway and not hang out in Hoboken all night. I seriously was considering going straight from work and hanging around until 8 for doors. Plus I didn't want to spend money for dinner. By the time I got there Firebird Band was onstage ready to go.....and I was third back. True, the crowd was probably going to shift around between sets but they could've crowded in better. And at some point during their gloom-pop lite (telling cover: "Love Will Tear Us Apart") the CMJer I wedged myself next to and the guy in the calf-high combat boots and fishnet top under T-shirt left. And I was right in front. But by that point it barely registered.

Goth-cello corset-wearin' Rasputina made us all sit down. "You didn't pay $7 to not see anything." Uh, I paid $12 and now I'm sitting behind the monitor and can't see anything. It's just that Maxwell's is the worst place to see a band like this and of course I didn't realize this until I was at the show. The stage is really low and I started off on my knees but I knew that wouldn't last the whole night and by the time I tried to cross my legs, everyone else had already established themselves and I had my left leg over my right instead of the other way around. A few songs in one girl asked if we could stand because she couldn't feel her legs but Melora said that if they had to sit, why should we not be sitting? It wasn't that bad, on my left I could see Zoe and the drummer and when I craned my neck around the monitor I could see Melora but never all 3 at once as they did their songs about "Mama Was An Opium Smoker," the zodiac, a cover of "Barracuda" and "If your kisses couldn't hold him then your tears won't bring him back." We all stood up for the encore and at least I got some pix. I'd go on Halloween, it's just the money. And if they make us sit down? I still have no idea what my costume is.