hollow sidewalks

seeing shows so you don't have to.

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Zut Allors! C'est Les Sans Culottes!

French FlagLa Laque/The Dansettes/Les Sans Culottes//Knitting Factory//9/28/05

Continuing my Les Sans Culottes winning streak--unable to make the free shows but free for the shows where there's a cover (this is the 3rd time this happened this year)--I went to the Knit to see LSC because they really shine when performing on a proper stage.

Arc De TriompheLast time I saw them was opening for The Spunk Lads for the Lads' final show @ Freddy's and after braving an extreme case of Subway Hell, I got there only to be wedged in the crowd and unable to dance. I mean, the only way to see a show is right up front and in the thick of things, but being toe-to-toe with Clermont Ferrand was a tad too close; the only thing separating us was a mic stand. Then again, when I saw LSC last year @ The Tap Bar I was the only one dancing. They dedicated "SOS Elefant" to me. I may not know French, but I do know they were telling me I dance like an elephant. Yeah, well, I knew that.

Eiffel TowerI figured the Knit's own ad that said 7:30 was a longshot. I should stop being such a follower and question authority more (especially where the Knitting Factory is concerned) because I headed down there at 7. Even though the V came first and I could've taken that all the way to 14th for the 1, I got off at Jackson Heights to get the F to save time. At 57/7 a man gets on with a stack of Onions in his hand. Don't tell me he's going to try to sell a free paper in order to get money. He announces that he's just a homeless guy and if we don't want to spend $1 for Street News we can just give him money. I had to cover my mouth to keep from laughing out loud. 'Course I had to wonder if he really knew that he wasn't carrying Street News all along and he's faking being strung out or if he's really strung out. I didn't waste too much time wondering, don't worry. And just my luck that he's carrying last week's Onion and not this week's. 'Cause if he had the recent one I'd've paid the dollar. Hey, I need to read this week's Onion and he needs money to buy drugs or a 40.

Siene RiverAnd of course I arrive at the Knit a little after 7:30 to find that the doors aren't open. But it hardly matters because I got to witness the entrepreneur on the subway. At least they had the main bar open and didn't send us downstairs only to find out that we can't wait outside the Tap Bar because it's not open and go downstairs to the Old Office. When I finally got inside I, for some reason, sat on the stage. I was able to haul ass up there. Of course I almost gave myself a leg cramp. Note to self: Don't get onstage at the Knit unless someone carries you. See, there used to be stairs by the stage door before they renovated the space. Before the show started, Ali La Pointe recognized me from their gig with the Lads and came by to say hi. He told me he's never been onstage in the Main Space. I told him I have, not counting my sitting there on it. We might've had a bit of a communication breakdown, as I don't speak French and he's not that good with English.

As I said before, I don't understand French (so I'm hoping this title says "Woohoo! It's Les Sans Culottes!" if not I'll fix it) and had to wonder why La Laque would choose a name that's pronounced as "lack." I'm sure it's French for "We kick ass," but I found something lacking. Sorry, Laquing. They were ok, don't get me wrong, but I just felt like I was watching opera and I felt stupid and uncultcha-ed. Y'know, why do punx always have 1-2-3-4 in their songs, they can't count any higher (except for the 5678s, though I don't know if they can count any lower.) The singer looked like a French Holly Golightly (from the movie, not the band) and the keyboard player was in a jacket/shirt with a plunging neckline and shoulder pads. Her hair was pulled back severely, making me think that she could've been one of those robochicks from a Robert Palmer video in a previous life. They dressed in all black and white and sounded a little like a French Portishead. They'd be perfect for Joe's Pub, though the woman behind me had her fingers in her ears. The best moment was during their last song--not because it was but because their drummer took off his black sweater to reveal a Casualties shirt. Not that I'm a Casualties fan but you get my point.

I was curious about The Dansettes because they seem to always end up on LSC bills as of late and I missed them while the Pianos show was sold out and they weren't letting anyone in. (It cleared out after them.) The Dansettes feature 3 gals in retro dresses backed by a band. Problem is, I know the look they're going for and one of the women had tattoos and a nose ring and it threw off the look. Elbow-length gloves for will help considerably. Hell, all 3 should have gloves. They sounded like an act that would've performed at a USO show in the 40s: big, revival-sounding organ and torch songs.

French SoccerWith all that space for Les Sans Culottes to be their usual, effervescent selves they shone through. Last time I saw them, the band seemed a little frozen (if that's possible for a sweatbox created by people just standing still, probably exceeding maximum occupancy levels). Plus, opening for the Lads' last show had to be a daunting task. This time around, all the room to move around onstage and in the crowd made for a fun dance party with a French twist. When they did "Sabine" (the song, not the woman) one guy yelled, "I know that one!" But it wasn't the same without Roger in the crowd. And The Zambonis being an opening act. And I was a lot younger all those gigs ago. Walking to the train I saw the Empire State Bldg. lit up in blue, white, and red. A coincidence, I know, but still. And wouldn't ya know it, I had something in my eye again. Must've been schmutz.

And then it was oui!oui!oui! all the way home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home