hollow sidewalks

seeing shows so you don't have to.

Thursday, October 13, 2005

Rocking Us Like A Hurricane

@ Freddy's Backroom 10/11/05

So even though I knew this thing wasn't going to start at 7, I went there straight from work. If I went home first I'd get in at 6 and then I'd have to schlep back out on 3 trains. I got the email about the show and told myself I had to leave there at a certain time. I just didn't know 4 days beforehand what my cutoff time was. At least I knew that with the Freddy's Backroom All-Stars performing I'll see some good shit. I'm just not sure who. Or how much good shit.

(Some of the Freddy's Gang, doing their thang, 2004-2005. Scott MX Turner, Anna Copacabana, Dave Benjoya, and Roger Paz.)





Not being a resident of the Blessed Borough, I decided my cutoff time was 9:30. I shoulda realized that Standard Benefit Rules were gonna be in effect and it was 7:00 doors, 9:00 show. I also shoulda just left--they already had my contribution and I never win raffles anyway so it's not like I needed to stay. At 8:00 someone cranked the Kaiser Chiefs, making me sentimental for the days when Freddy's was host to the wankers of The Spunk Lads.

John Pinamonti started the show off on the right note with a great version of "House Of The Rising Sun," accompanied by Gavin Smith on accordian. Next up was acoustic rocker Joe Johnson, who offered up a handful of songs, including the moment of realization on "Drunker Than Me" and one that Scott "Chuck Eddy" Turner said sounded like a Luka Bloom song. Since his set finished a little after 9:30, I amended my departure to 10:00. Roger Paz provided a fun change of pace with the first installment of the benefit edition of the pub quiz. All answers had to be written on currency. Turns out Scott was up next and right before he started, I was overcome by this massive urge to sneeze--probably due to the lethal sauce on the hotwings doing a number on my sinuses. I never eat wings for that exact reason but I assumed that since they had to appeal to a broad palate they'd be mild but only after I had my second one did the atomic-ness kick in, and I heard Adrienne say they were the hottest ones Wing Wagon made. I was too afraid to let fly and distract Turner & Co. so I had to bite my tongue through the stirring "The Devil Down In The Water." And thankfully, the urge to sneeze passed.

(Yeah, the photo layout looked totally different in preview mode--2 and 2. Posted, it looked whack. So I tried to change the code and it looked worse, with text down the center--in preview. I'm trying to figure in my head which code each needs but it's too early in the morning to figger out. Eh, it's not like anyone reads this. You know me; either I go with it or I take down the pix. 'Course, I still could. So then I post. Another layout entirely. And I have to take it down and relabel and republish, view in a new window, find it's still fucked up, change one thing in the code, republish, lather rinse repeat. I am weary and about to fall over but I want to get this done for feck's sake.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home