hollow sidewalks

seeing shows so you don't have to.

Thursday, July 13, 2006

How I Spent My Rock & Roll Vacation

(Night 2)
Conjugal Visits/Tarantinos NYC/Supertones/The Isotopes//Otto’s Shrunken Head//7/1/06

(Yeah, that looks like I’m taking a vacation from rock n roll, don’t it?)

If there’s anybody out there who wishes that there’s a band that does for baseball what the Zambonis do for hockey, I got good news and bad news. Good news: They’re called the Isotopes. Their logo apes the Ramones’ and says Punk Rock Baseball Club. Bad news: They’re in Canada. (And how is it that we have 2 hockey bands and they have the baseball band?) Good news for those who missed The Isotopes @ Otto’s: It was a different Isotopes. Sorta bad news for at least one who saw the Isotopes @ Otto’s: It was a different Isotopes.

I thought about Sin-e for some post-punk even though it’s $10, but when I saw the lineup for Unsteady Freddy’s Surf-rock Shindig—free!—that made up my mind. Yeah, I saw Tarantinos NYC and they’re pretty much what you see is what you get, but Isotopes? Sounds cool. I looked them up and when I saw the Canada bit, I figured maybe. (Somehow I don’t think ambient/techno/experimental would play Otto’s, not to mention the Georgia bit.) They could come down from Canada for a “midnight” slot over a holiday weekend. But I did a search (which is pretty much the only reason why we {I} need Myspace—usually if I don’t know the band’s website, and in case bandname.com isn’t it, usually putting bandname and then band was it {things you learn by doing random searches on “spunk lads” circa 2001}, but “Isotopes band” would probably still produce unwieldy things that have nothing to do with a rock band) and wrote The Isotopes, the band from Rochester came up. Okay, yeah, that’s cool, and how could a band called Supertones be bad?

I left late. Conjugal Visits, eh, whatever, but they were on at 9 and I left after 8. I haven’t been doing well lately and the weather is making it that much harder. Or easier for me to give up, whichever. Seinfeld wasn’t on, but NASCAR was. Dick Cheney was on and I never got this, but there’s a prayer invocation before the race. Uhm, separation of church and state, people? What if there’s—no, screw it, I don’t think there are any Jewish NASCAR fans who would be offended by this because I don’t think there are any Jewish NASCAR fans to begin with. I’ve always felt that 1st Ave. has the best graffiti; all those years of using that station (oh, ok, getting off there) for Brownies proved it. This time around someone left some pretty cool spoken word on the billboards. That’s pretty badass to just leave your poetry where anyone could take it, and write verses like crazy and not worry about getting caught or anything. Heading east on 14th (see, that one I know otherwise it would’ve been “walking down 14th”) I pass an ambulance that says Party Emergency and there’s a skull-and-test tubes logo on the side. Oh, yeah.

Conjugal Visits were basic rawk and Freddy said The Supertones were a virtual surf-rock jukebox; request any surf instro number and they’ll play it. The Isotopes picked the right place to play because if there’s ever a venue where you’d expect to find a Flaming Homer, Otto’s would be it. (Seriously, someone should make them. We all know what the secret ingredient is.) I get the feeling that if The Isotopes’ Handsome B. Wonderful, Trent Steele, Max Power, and Hercules Rockefeller attempt suicide, they would write the note on stationary that says Dumb Things I Gotta Do Today. Not only do they travel in a converted ambulance, they also bring barrels of nuclear waste with them, (hey, pop music’s hard work) so they were adequately prepared to rock. Then again, being from Rochester, home of RIT, Kodak, and IBM, probably would make you nerds of surf who spend too much time in the chem. lab. One barrel of nuclear waste didn’t fit, but they had 2 go-go dancers with them. They call it “brutal surf,” which is short for tight surf-rock instrumentals and sound bites: The Isotopes appreciate your applause, but please keep your middle finger to yourself. Keeping the band together is hard work, but playing a closet in Manhattan makes it all worthwhile. Not to mention their go-go dancers: I’m may be Unsteady, but they’re scaring me. And: Does anybody want to have sex? Now I don’t have to go to a strip club for three days. Or go on the Internet till tomorrow. Oh, wait, it is tomorrow.

In other words, we do not need to have the Rolling Stones killed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home