hollow sidewalks

seeing shows so you don't have to.

Saturday, May 20, 2006

If It's Death Disco, It Must Be Wednesday

Dirty Magazine @ The Delancey, 5/3/06

Originally I was supposed to be going to Trash that nite. That was the plan, although by the time Wednesday rolled around, I wasn't looking forward to it. I've been on house arrest since doing my taxes and that hasn't helped my normally cheery disposition one bit. The band i wanted to see was on at 10, it was either $6-$8, I didn't know what was up with the L, I've seen the 11:00 band already and while they weren't my new favorite band, I'd want to stick around to see them to get my cover's worth, and to justify the excursion.

So that morning I checked my junk email, thinking: Rolex replicas, enlarge your manhood, sigh, Dirty Magazine, jeez but then I see Death Disco free show tonite. Huh. And then I think the usual when I get emails such as this: What band is this and whose mailing list am I on now? And why use a name that's so similar to that ^, Sexy Magazines? The email gave nothing away, so I had to go to their Myspace site. It's Dana's band. Stupid was a great band, another casualty of the times and the scene. Another band that put out 1 great CD and then imploded. And then they were Twitch Stutter, who I missed every time they had a free gig and whenever there was a paying gig it was too much $ for only 1 band on the bill that I wanted to see. Hey, I was going out that nite anyway, and 9 @ The Delancey is easier to than 10 @ Trash. Not to mention the free angle. But Dirty Magazine? They went from Stupid to Dirty Magazine? Again, why take a name that's so close to a shitty band's name? Maybe Sexy Magazines broke up. I did a search on them and it came up empty and I was all happy, but then searched The Sexy Magazines. They still exist. Dang it.

The man across from me on the train was dressed in Spandex racing gear, tools spread out on the seats on either side of him as he worked on his bike, changing the treads and inflating the tire. For some reason he had an audience while working, everyone else just staring at him and when he inflated the tire to the point that it popped as people were boarding at a stop, a woman jumped in her tracks and the biker looked at her like she was crazy. Dana hugged me hello and all. As I waited for them to start, I felt a little better. I'm going out. This is what normal people--er, me--do.

They were onstage and set to go when Dana stopped to make an announcement. "There's one important part to this that I forgot!" The latkes? She gets offstage and rummages through her bag. "This is my very first dildo!" Uhm. She holds it up proudly and pets it, weidling it like a toy sword all thru their first song. Now if you're going to break out a dildo onstage, there should be a reason for it. (Then again, never mind.) During a pause in the set, she proudly shows off the dildo again. I applaud. And Dana's off in standard fashion--jogging in place, screaming, flailing, falling to the ground, hiking up her tube top. During the next band break she threatens them to keep up before she starts talking about the dildo again. "God, Dana, stop talking about your dildo!" she says, which is supposed to mock her bandmates' response, but it's like she's reading my mind. Dildos and Dirty Magazine @ The Delancey.

Maybe I should've stayed in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home