hollow sidewalks

seeing shows so you don't have to.

Thursday, April 06, 2006

April Is The Punkest Month

NY Underground Record Fair Afterparty
Don Juan Destroyer/Boots & Bracelets/Bootleg Blondie/Rotten Shambles/Fillmore Slim/ Unatural Desaster
@ CBGB Gallery & Lounge //4/1/06

Another weekend, another 4-pack of film. And I love how people manage to ring up staggering credit card debt but I send my bill out a week late--and in full--and my card is declined. By that evening I couldn't remember if it was $7 @ 8PM or $8 @ 7PM, but I was already in Homer Simpson mode: "I like bands!" I considered spending the xtra $ to go to the record fair earlier that day ($10 for the rekkid fair and afterparty) because, well, it's records and CDs that I can paw thru. But I don't have a lot of money for CDs as it is and the ad said a lot of the vendors were collectors and knowing my luck, I'd find some rare Spunk Lads vinyl and spend way too much money on it and hate myself for it--or not spend the money and hate myself for it. I got there a little before 8 (when it was supposed to start), there was already a band screaming in the basement, and they only charged me $5. See, I assumed that since they said CBGB Gallery, the bands would play in The Gallery, after the record fair. Turns out the fair and party was a 2-floor event, there were no times listed, and they didn't even post which bands were playing where.

There wasn't any one band in particular that I was dying to see, but a few sounded cool and I like bands. But since they told me it was downstairs, that's where I started. I did want to see Dissemble, and I figured that if the show started at 8, I could find out what was what when I was there. I didn't even check the ad in the paper because I just figured I was going to see a bunch of possibly good (stupid opitimism) bands and the last time I was able to check the fair website, there were a few more bands added at the last minute. Of course. I think the band screaming when I came in was Dissemble. There was a piece of paper that said Up/Down that I found lying on the counter and that had the split but no times listed.

People were sprawled all over the disgustazoid furniture down there and at first I thought that the next band onstage were going to talk on their cellphones all nite. The drummer sat down and got on his cell and then the bass player/singer. If your band is onstage, you should not be on the phone. Unless you're waiting for a call about an organ transplant or something, in which case you shouldn't be onstage in the 1st place. They're Don Juan Destroyer and they sounded exactly like a band that would come up with a name like that, playing what I assume they assume is hard rock. "Thanks for coming out to see us!" the over-eager bass player said. There was a guy walking around in what was supposed to be an Elvis jumpsuit and she called him Edward Scissorhands. Toward the end she asked the sound guy how many songs they had left. He said 1, but they can do 2. "Can we do 3?" (He shook his head no.) "Whatever, man." And they did their 3. You rebels. You showed him.

Boots & Bracelets, who I did want to see, were up next. They're a female-fronted punk band whose sound/style is in the Lady Unluck/SMUT vein and they can kick your ass and they had the guys up front eating out of their hands and stripping. Breaking Bottles and Breaking Hearts as their EP promises. I was like, Yes! You guys kick ass! Thank God, because I was starting to think that I should've gone to see LSC afterall. I was all ready to change my mind about not seeing SMUT on the 13th cuz I'm going to see them on the 22nd but then remembered that it's Passover. After their set, Michelle Razor said for everyone to go upstairs, and I was wondering if the whole show was moving back upstairs or go upstairs if you wanted to talk to them after or what, but I go upstairs anyway and Bootleg Blondie is already onstage.

I'm not going to go into it about how I feel about tribute bands in general, but I guess if you look as close as Bootleg Blondie's Deborah Harris, what else can you do in life, right? Part of me hated it on principle, but if the Yanx have the Fab Faux, I guess the Wanx can do Blondie. Besides, all these female fronted, nu-wave punk bands are just trying to be Blondie anyway. Why not come right out and be Blondie? And that's another problem: Yes, the songs are good, we know that, but.... Did I come pretty close to convincing myself that I've somehow been miraculously transported back in time? Not even. Besides the fact that if that were the case we'd be next door, it was like finding a knockoff designer bag on Canal St. Or what finding a knockoff designer bag on Canal St. must be like since I don't do that, but you get my drift. When they found out that they had 1 left, Debbie went offstage for a costume change and the guitar player said, "This is Blondie's 6th #1 hit!" and soloed until Debbie came back onstage in some duct-taped ensemble. Maria did not even sound close. I guess they think the "Hee hee! We're seeing Blondie!" vibe makes up for the discrepancy. I guess this makes the quip about The Sounds that once ran in the Voice about if you ever wanted to see Blondie in their prime, see The Sounds is now obsolete.

So after Bootleg Blondie was Rotten Shambles, from Maryland, an obnoxious glam rock band who think that being obnoxious and in your face=putting on an exciting rock show. That's a crying shame. Guys with LES rockboy haircuts and skintight jeans and they asked where the afterparty is. Uh, you're playing it. They actually have a song that goes "Hey, hey, hey, Cinderella, I wanna be your fella." They said to go downstairs to see Fillmore Slim and since the next drumkit up had Candiria, Lamb of God, Arch Enemy, etc stickers all over it I figured they'd be metal so I did go downstairs, and that's the band that had the guy in the Elvis-esque getup. Being in an Elvis suit can never help a band, especially one that's Fillmore Slim, with their wannabe glam trash stylings. "I'm a dog, I'm a dirty dog, do you wanna get dirty w/me?" Uh, no. And "Party of 3," about the ladies that make them crazy. Yeah, how much you wanna bet dude looked like a lady? So it was back upstairs for Unatural Desaster's grindcore. By the end of their set my back was bothering me so I left. Not like I didn't have a full sched the next day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home