hollow sidewalks

seeing shows so you don't have to.

Friday, November 04, 2005

Holloween 2!

Death Mold @ Sin-e, Peter & the Pansexuals/Dougie Needles & the Public Offenders @ Trash//10/31/05

So after Team Spider @ City Hall, I needed to get over to the F line to get to Sin-e. I took the R up to Union Square and intended to get pizza and take the L over to the F. Union Square on Halloween just had this surreal vibe, like New Year's Eve but with costumes. Curbside dining packed thanks to the good weather. Is it just me or are pizza places vanishing in this city? All I need is a slice of pizza and a soda. Not a fancy pizza restaurant, not a gourmet deli, just need a quick substantial bite on the run that's more than a bagel and isn't fast food. I consider going to the pizza place by Irving Plaza but that place is like $3 and change. Probably cuz it's on NYU row. And besides, that's going further away than I need to be. So what the hell, why don't I head to E. Houston and hit Ray's, at least I'll be down there already. So I was done by 7:10 and had time to kill so I spent the 45 cents a minute cuz the design station computers were the only ones empty and started my Team Spider post.

Now, Death Mold sounded interesting--the writeup, at least, and the next band, Team Robespierre, did as well. Team Robespierre are from the year 3092 and I wonder if music in 3092 is anything like the music in 3172. But I have to get to Brooklyn because Dougie Needles is going on @ 10, and even though I know it's not going to start exactly at 10, I don't want to stress myself out needlessly and who knows what the subways are gonna be like? I get to Sin-e at 8 and they're still soundchecking. I look in the window to see who's playing that speed metal stuff and I see a man onstage in a gas mask and a skeleton. I walk down the block ready to leave because I don't know which band this is but I don't want to see them. I think this is an entire package show, not individual bookings. I knew the headliner, Kylesa, and supporting act Torche are death metal. Death Mold's blurb was something like they played a mix of nu-metal and Williamsburg hipster stuff. Something told me that they were being sarcastic, but....their bass player used to be in a band called Oi Polloi so I thought this was going to involve punk. I can't get away fast enough and the doors open and I'm standing right there so I feel I have to go in and besides, who knows which band that was soundchecking? It could've been any of them on the bill. It was Death Mold. Not my thing but I was digging the skeleton on bass. He just rokked. I loved watching his little skeleton hands dancing up the neck of his bass. The lead singer was getting totally red in the face from screaming and I couldn't make out one lyric. I was tempted to stay for Team Robespierre to balance out the cover charge but I was afraid they'd be the exact same sound so I left for Trash. What the hell am I thinking, I ask myself as I head over to Williamsburg. It's a Monday for fuck's sake, I shoulda just cut my losses and stayed for Team Robespierre and called it a night. I'm heading for financial ruin as it is, do I have to make it physical as well? Too late, I'm already there.

Nothing says "Happy Halloween!" like a heavy metal band in costume. What I can't figure out is if Peter and the Pansexuals are always in costume, since this is my first time seeing them. There's a woodland nymph on guitar and one on drums. The bass player didn't really dress up. The other guitar player is some sort of zombie in a dress, wig, and massive fake boobs. The lead singer's getup--don't know if he's Peter or the Pansexual--is the god Pan in gold platform boots, which are painted to look like hooves. Shirtless, makeup, furry pants cut off at the knees, tail, and he had one horn when he took the stage and that one fell off during the set. Well, at least it wasn't some sort of Peter Pan theme. He did tell us that we all looked fabulous and took off the black leather codpiece to reveal a huge fake penis. "You're gonna be so disappointed if you see the real thing...it's not a little dick; it's a big clit."

The place cleared out after their set and Dougie Needles & the Public Offenders pretty much played to an empty room. They did 2 covers, "Carbona Not Glue" and "Waitin For My Man." "We only cover songs by New York bands because we're from New York" and when they did "I'm A Liar" Peter's bass player said, "These guys are fucking great. I can't believe nobody's listening to them." And they closed with "New York Baby," inviting those of us who've seen them before onstage to sing the chorus. When we hesitated, Dougie said, "C'mon! It's Halloween!" And, well, I have seen them before. I kinda wish that I didn't put my bag on under the batwings so I could've taken it off easily before I got onstage. Sharing a mic with Enzo, the bass player, while wearing wings was a bit odd because they interfered with my peripheral vision and I was afraid Enzo was going to bump into me and I into him. The guy in the Hustler shirt who was videotaping them thanked me and introduced himself as their manager. He promises me that he's going to work on updating their site. Screw that, work on getting them gigs.

I love families that get into Halloween as opposed to parents who take their kids around. At Bedford when I was going to Trash there was a couple with a little baby in a stroller, all dressed as devils in aprons for a Devil's Diner theme. At 14th & 8, I waited for the E along with The Invisible Man and a middle-age woman in a flower power costume, the guy as a rocker in a wig and shirt unbuttoned to his waist. The E is packed with the last few revelers in the city and I start sneezing like crazy. The woman across from me looks away and I worry that I have snarf dripping. I keep sneezing. Or maybe she's had a total stranger blow chunks across the train, spraying her. Fuck you, Halloween. On the E is a woman in the ugliest witch getup ever--warty nose, fake buck teeth, unibrow, green makeup. Bonus points for making yourself look that ugly on purpose. Got in at 1. Well, even if I'd come home after Team Robespierre I would've spent all that time writing until 1 in the morning, anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home