hollow sidewalks

seeing shows so you don't have to.

Saturday, December 10, 2005

Keeping Score

With tonite's cover for the Indie Music Video Festival featuring Theo & The Skyscrapers, I have paid my 100th cover of 2005--not counting benefit shows. I started keeping score with the intention of seeing just how much money I spend on shows because if I presented myself with concrete evidence of how out of hand my show budget is, I'd change my ways.

In a perfect world, of course.

I'm too afraid to add it up (everybody pull out their Violent Femmes and crank it) because I really don't want to know. I'm sure it's over $300. Probably over $500. Think of all the film I could've gotten developed with that money but instead I bought film for the shows. Problem is, I tell myself that I'm a writer, so it's justified, this is my job; things'll get better eventually; what the hell, my life's already a mess, I'm curious about (VHS Or Beta, Hot Hot Heat, Q & Not U, etc); but it's (Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphys, NY Dolls, the Undertones, Digable Planets, Dan Bern, etc.)!

No more. My goal for next year is to spend less on shows and take less pix. Nothing over $15 unless it's absolutely necessary (haven't I told myself that already?) As it is, very few bands are even worth $10. No more Southpaw surcharges. Well, of course I'm not going to be spending all that much money on shows. It's been snowing like crazy. Who wants to go out and stay out late? Besides, by the time the weather warms up I'll be in need of rewarding myself for how well I've been doing. And if I didn't see shows, what the hell else would I write about? Myself? Bo-ring!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home