hollow sidewalks

seeing shows so you don't have to.

Sunday, August 14, 2005

Re:Search

Okay. I admit it. Last nite (er, this morning) I did a search on a musician I blogged about to see if Hollow Sidewalks would come up as a match. It didn't, of course; I'm still too new and in lurk-mode (which I feel is coming to a close). I was reading the instructions for this thing and I could've sworn it said that Bloggers would appear in search results. I didn't have the time to slag thru all the results to find me at the very bottom of the last page. So I did a search on "Hollow Sidewalks."

One match was an article from the Sacramento News & Review, which I have to make a link for as it's a longie. The article starts out describing a used music store and one of the workers feels it's haunted. There are tunnels in the basement that lead nowhere. It goes on to describe the underground city that existed in Sacramento c. 1850s. Of all things on the street as the record store, they lead off with the record store. There are haunting pix of storefronts under the streets, which are known as--you guessed it--hollow sidewalks and generally referred to as the underground. It goes on to quote a historian who says how important it is to protect the underground and its history. This stuck with me for obvious reasons. My hollow sidewalk is on Bleeker Street. I noticed it while I was heading to CBGB to see the Blackout Shoppers. What do you think I'm attempting to do here--preserve the underground.

There's a band called Cub Country who have a song called Hollow Sidewalks. I found a link to a review on eMusic. The album review (by a Charles Spano) ends with this: "The record culminates with the seven-minute-long 'Hollow Sidewalks,' a shimmering, nostalgic journey that, like the album as a whole, is honest, expansive, and rings true."

Today (uh, that would be yesterday) my mom happens to mention that she read an article about this city that existed under Central Park and that the Wall Street area was built on top of a pre-existing city. She couldn't remember the website given so I did a search and found an article in the Times about Seneca Village. The article was dated--you guessed it--August 10.

Holy. Fucking. Shit.