hollow sidewalks

seeing shows so you don't have to.

Sunday, August 14, 2005

Fuck The MTA

I just had to go to Stinko's and get some pix posted. I won't even tell you how much that cost as my computer's a pile o'crap. The Kinko's is on Union Turnpike and I left at like 8:15, 8:30. The E comes after a while and crawls into 75th Ave. Due to flood conditions, Manhattan-bound E, F, and R is suspended. Take the Q60 upstairs. I could barely hear the announcement. Upstairs there's a line at the token booth for the block tickets. Again, why are they closing down token booths? I was heading out and some guy stopped me, telling me I needed the ticket. I try to explain that I don't need one since I have an unlimited as the guy kept it up, insisting that I pick up the block ticket so I don't have to spend another fare.

As I headed across Queens Blvd. to get the Manhattan-bound 60, I couldn't help but sing the chorus of Lady Unluck's "Fuck The MTA." It was about a 15-minute wait for a bus that took off before I could get on. And the bus wasn't that packed even though people were prying the back door open and sneaking in. After that it was 45 minutes of waiting for a bus that wasn't that packed and which didn't stop. Now, why didn't the MTA get a fleet of buses on the case? How is it a surprise that if there's a ton of rain in a short period of time, there's going to be a flood on the tracks? It always happens, so why isn't the MTA prepared?

I decide to walk. It's not that far to Continental Ave. and maybe something will be running there. As I walk the one subway stop, a bus never comes but it starts raining again. I was afraid to leave the bus stop at 75 Ave. because what if a bus comes? At least I'm not that far away from my apt. if I do have to walk. I could use some exercize. At least it's not 2:30 in the morning in Long Island City after Black 47. In February. At least it's not 3:30 in the morning after St. Patrick's Day and that was, what, on a Wednesday or Thursday? Thing is, I haven't eaten in a while. There's no delis around. If I have to walk home from Continental that's about 3/4 mile, I think. If I have to walk it I might as well stop at McDonald's and have something to walk off. Defeating the purpose, I know. And watch, after I eat junk the subway will be running again. Why the hell do they raise the fares all the time when nothing works? If they said they're raising the fares so they can give all the janitors who mop up our puke, shit, food, bodily fluids, garbage, etc. in the heat and when it's so cold you can see your breath while you wait for the trains $20,000 raises, fine. They deserve it. All the MTA does is give themselves--the executives--raises. But I get to the subway and ask if the R's running. Guy at the token booth says yes. See? I head downstairs thinking that I should've clarified: Is the R running now, not is the R running in general on a Sunday evening at Continental?

I get to the platform to see an R out of service and hear an announcement that the train is going to head backwards. Probably back to storage. An F arrives on the express track that says Shuttle. It's only going to Jackson Heights and from there those going to Manhattan can get the 7. So I could take the F to Jackson Heights and the R back? I ask an MTA worker. No local in either direction. Take the Q60. There hasn't been an R in 2 hours. That's how long I've been waiting for the 60. As I'm talking to the worker, a light comes on over our heads. Maybe the R will start running. Maybe it's a sign.

So I head upstairs and across Queens Blvd. The line for the 60 is pretty long and if it ever shows up, they wouldn't stop for me. I make it a few blocks, past a bus stop that isn't that crowded but is under a shelter and has a bench. No rain but lightning. And a 60 pulls to a stop ahead of me and lets me on. It's a good thing I stopped at McDonald's after all. I stand in the stairwell of the bus, sandwiched between someone's big ass and the bus door. I'm hanging onto the door pole. Come to think of it this is how I used to get to High School when I went to Bowne, pressed against the bus door with my bookbag hanging out the door. But the driver is in good humor, telling us all to lose weight and that he's dropping us at the gym so he can fit 5 more people on. We pass a bus stop and he tells us to wave to everyone as we pass them by.

At my intersection I ask if I can just get off since I'm down the block. He says he has to stop at the bus stop because if I get injured getting off I'll have someone to sue. If he leaves me off anywhere and I get hurt I'd have to sue him and half of nothing is nothing. Upstairs my light flickers and I'm ready to run out and buy flashlights. But then I realize that it's 10:45; if the lights go out I can just go to sleep until it's light out. I'm gross and sweaty and a little drenched and I need to wash my hair again but . . . I have no hot water.